Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Making Lifestyle Choices



Now that I'm up and moving, I decided that I really need to set a long term goal for myself. The scary thing is that I'm going to share my goal and ask that you help me stay focused. Drum roll please, I want to complete a 5k. Ideally, I want to run the entire 3.1 miles. But, I'm going to be practical and not try and do this until next year; I haven't decided when just yet, but before it gets too hot.
I loved running, in fact, I was on my junior highs track team, but I haven't exercised in about 15 years. Something about working, being married, and having kids *shrugs* Well, that's in the past.
I decided that instead of going out there and trying to run 2 miles a day, then 1, and then not at all, I needed to completly change my lifestyle. I cut back on certain foods like cake and potatoes, increased others (mainly fruits) and as time has gone on I've slowly made changes, each week, until I started walking back in mid September.

Since I've had a history of getting shin splint easily, I decided to walk in a small field just outside my bedroom door. Initially I was only able to make 4 laps, but as I decreased the time it took me to complete that distance I've increased the number of laps, more that doubling what I was walking. I walk a minimum of 3 days a week, but my goal is 5 days.
 
The biggest problem I've had is that I don't like wearing tennis shoes. In fact, if you were to look in my closest right now you would only be able to find three pairs of shoes that aren't Birkenstocks. And yes, one of those pair are my brand new Nike Vomero 4. It took some time to find the right shoe, but it has made all the difference.

The training for a 5k is typically done in 8 weeks, but I am not your average couch potato. I'm not going to worry about officially training at this point. I figure by mid-march I will have been walking for 6 months. I think that may be the time to start. There's a great site that has a Couch to 5K training program that I plan on following.

Please keep me honest and offer encouragement when you see me, I'll need it!

10 comments:

Leah said...

Awesome goal! I think you are doing it smart. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

jayedee said...

you can do it! and i will live vicariously thru you! lol

Anonymous said...

so... i have been trying to get up the courage to do the same..5k, marathon, etc. and somehow, something just keeps getting in the way. Like school, kids, husband. But I am thinking about ya.. and yes would love to 'train' along side you even if I am 500 + miles away. Maybe we could walk toward each other...heehee :)

Sophie said...

Go, go, go!!! So glad that you have it planned out. Awesome. Totally wish I could train with you, girl!

Sam said...

You can do it, Marye! The fact that you're walking and staying consistent - that's FABULOUS.

You know I've been doing Couch to 5k - well, I started, then Thomas got kicked out of preschool, which messed up my workout times, and then I was having, of all thing, HIP pain from running. But I'm back on the horse and really going for it - trying NOT to repeat a day because it seems hard and I can't do it perfectly. Even if my running is more like somewhat fast walking...

There are several great apps for your iPhone, too, which is what I use - makes everything SO easy.

Anonymous said...

Yea for you! Come and join me!

Anonymous said...

(Clapping!) Something I can relate to. I started running/walking last April and love it now

Anonymous said...

A 5K is very do-able. Start out at about a mile and work your way up. I don't recommend running daily mainly so you avoid shin splints or foot injury...lastly, shoes...get good running shoes (good doesn't equal expensive). I don't like to run but do it because I have to.

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! I wanna do it w you.

Unknown said...

Sam, I'll look into the iPhone apps, thanks!
I appreciate all the support y'all!

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” mahatma gandhi