Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Overthrowing Christmas

I haven't been out shopping, but maybe once or twice during this Christmas season. We are trying to make this season more about being together and celebrating the birth of Christ than about having the most elaborate decorations, extravagant gifts, and an excessive amount of food. Yesterday, I had an opportunity to get out of the house without the kids, so took advantage of that time and drove into town. The traffic was ridiculous, the crowds were out of control and worst yet, everyone was in a fowl mood. I was feeling rather chipper and I wasn’t going to let anyone spoil my time to browse around at the different shops so, when someone pushed, grunted, or snarled at me I smiled and said, “I hope you have a happy Christmas!” My joy was met with several shocked expressions and a few death stares. It reminded me of the year I was working at a home décor store. I was ringing a customer up when I heard someone yell at one of the other employee, “You have ruined my whole Christmas!” As it turned out, she wasn’t going to be able to enjoy her Christmas because our store was sold out of a particular ornament that she wanted.
Is this what Christmas has be come? I think it’s time we all stepped back and took a look around. I doubt there is anything we can do about the traffic or the crowds, but we certainly don’t have to walk around in our self-centered, self-serving bubble bumping into everyone we encounter trying to make Christmas something special. It already is special. All we have to do is enjoy that glory. It’s not too late; join the conspiracy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha... so YOU were the ONE that was spewing all that religion crap down my throat!!
JK, Mare.... thanks for the reminder. When I talked to you, I hadn't gotten ANYTHING for ANYBODY, not even the kids. And this is, what, 3 days before Christmas? No Santa, no gifts for anyone. I was feeling pressure. Still am.
If I don't see you between now and Christmas... Merry Christmas!! Hope you and yours have a great one! Tina

jayedee said...

just stopping by to wish you the happiest of new years! imagine! a brand new page to write on! God is good! love you girl! xoxoxox

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” mahatma gandhi