Friday, August 1, 2008

Being Green

There was a time that the three R's were readin', riting' and rithmatic, but those time have long since past. Do you know what the three R's are now? Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. We are told to Reduce the amount and toxicity of trash we discard, reuse containers and products; repair what is broken or give it to someone who can repair it, and to recycle as much as possible, which includes buying products with recycled content. Being green is big business. Not that I'm complaining, I think we need to be more aware of the way we treat mother earth. I just hate that it cost us to be earth conscious. We have moved around over the past several years and I can tell you some states/communities are much more conscious (or should I say they are more green) than other places.




One thing that's really easy is to use cloth bags instead of plastic or even paper when you go to the store. I workied at a home decor store and was sickened at the amount of packaging required to ship merchandise. Trust me when I tell you that that company did not recycle. Each week they received 300 + boxes of merchandise wrapped in plastic and styrofoam.



I think composting is another way to to decrease the amount of garbage and it helps out your backyard garden too. My parents gave me this counter top compost keeper that has a filter in the top that keeps the stench out.

Does you community have curbside routing?




Go check out the World Environmental Organization here to learn how you can reuse different household items.


What are you doing to help out the environment?

2 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

We have curbside recycling in the neighborhoods, but the high school only started recyling last year. I'm a teacher, and always took my students' recyclables home every afternoon to recycle here.

Melissa B. said...

Kermit the Frog did say it best, didn't he? I'm heartened, though, that both presidential candidates are trying to have a serious conversation about the environment. That hasn't happened in a long time! BTW, don't forget today's Silly Summer Sunday Sweepstakes! Got a super snap for you to help us Share the Caption Love!

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” mahatma gandhi